We rely on salt to keep our roads safe in the winter and to soften water in our homes year-round but using more salt than is needed comes with a heavy price. In Wisconsin and much of the United States, chloride from salt is infiltrating into our lakes, streams and groundwater. These increased chloride levels have significant impacts on our daily lives, including:
It only takes 1 teaspoon of salt to pollute 5 gallons of water to a level that is toxic for freshwater ecosystems.
We can all work together to use the right amount of salt!
Learn more about what you can do to take action!
- 12/10/2020 - Salt your Fries, Not our Fresh Water - Free Webinar
- 1/11/2021 - Salty Streams and Formerly Freshwater Lakes: An Ecosystem Perspective
- 1/12/2021 - Be Salt Wise and Pet Smart
- 1/13/2021 - Salt your Dinner, not our Drinking Water
- 1/14/2021 - Winter Salt Certification Workshop: Property Managers