We rely on salt to keep our roads safe in the winter and to soften water in our homes year-round but using more salt than is needed comes with a heavy price. In Wisconsin and much of the United States, chloride from salt is infiltrating into our lakes, streams and groundwater. These increased chloride levels have significant impacts on our daily lives, including:
It only takes 1 teaspoon of salt to pollute 5 gallons of water to a level that is toxic for freshwater ecosystems.
We can all work together to use the right amount of salt!
Learn more about what you can do to take action!
- 11/10/2020 - Smart Salting to Protect Wisconsin Communities: Local Government’s Role
- 11/12/2020 - Brining and Salt Reduction Equipment Open House
- 11/12/2020 - Property Management Snow and Ice Control Workshop
- 11/17/2020 - Winter Salt Certification Workshop: Parking Lots and Sidewalks
- 11/19/2020 - Smart about Salt - DNR